Drug & Alcohol Prevention Municipal Alliance
The purpose of the Maplewood/ South Orange Municipal Alliance is to Prevent Alcoholism and Drug Abuse. Municipal Alliances are a program funded by state of New Jersey under the Governor’s Council on Alcoholism and Drug Abuse. The Municipal Alliance local ordinance was issued in 1990 in Maplewood (Chapter 10, Ord. #1832)
The mission of the state Municipal Alliance is to be "A mechanism for implementing policies to reduce alcoholism and drug abuse (and) support appropriate county and municipal-based alcohol and drug abuse education and public awareness activities" (N.J.S.A. 26-BB-7a). The goal of the Municipal Alliance is "To provide successful prevention programs and public awareness activities, using environmental strategies [to make community wide changes]."
The vision of the Maplewood/ South Orange Municipal Alliance envisions a community that promtoes wellness, and the mental, social and physical health of its community members, by fostering an environment that is free of misuse and abuse of alcohol, marijuana/ vaping and other illicit drugs.
The mission of the Maplewood/ South Orange Municipal Alliance is to:
- Organize and coordinate efforts involving schools, law enforcement, business groups and other community organizations for the purpose of reducing alcoholism and drug abuse.
- Develop, in cooperation with the South Orange Maplewood School District (SOMSD) comprehensive and effective programs to combat alcoholism and drug abuse in grades Kindergarten through 12.
- Develop, in cooperation with the South Orange Maplewood School District (SOMSD), procedures for the intervention of students abusing alcohol and drugs.
- Develop comprehensive alcohol and drug abuse prevention programs which involve education, support, and outreach efforts for parents in Maplewood/ South Orange.
- Develop comprehensive community awareness programs dealing with alcoholism and drug abuse.
- Work with local government to develop and enforce local ordinances that support the control of alcohol consumption and the sale of tobacco/ vaping or other illicit products to minors.