Our Mission Statement
To identify, develop and coordinate resources, policies, programs and services that support and empower all residents of Maplewood and South Orange to age in place as full members of the community.
Please visit the SOMA Official Website for additional information.
Recognizing the increasing number of residents over 60 and the desire to keep long-term residents in our communities, South Orange and Maplewood (SOMA) launched "Two towns for all ages." Under this new initiative, SOMA is taking a proactive approach to foster healthy aging and enable residents to age in place.
This age-friendly initiative engages all stakeholders in the community - government, businesses, schools, non-profits and people of all ages - to build a lifelong community. To ensure programs and services in our two towns meet these important goals we strive/pledge/commit to:
- Be responsive to the needs of older residents.
- Combine the resources and interests of both towns to build a synergistic relationship that promotes and supports healthy aging.
- Recognize the role older adults play in our communities and their contributions to the fabric of our diverse community.
- Realize that improvements that benefit the older population also benefit the rest of our community.
- Ensure older adults engage in the conversation and allow their concerns to be heard and acted upon.
Both towns are committed to the long-term continuity and sustainability of the Two towns for all ages initiative. Our most recent newsletter and Calendar of Events of interest to SOMA residents 60+ is now available on our website at www.somatwotownsforallages.org.