In order to expedite safe passage througout the Township for emergency vehicles and motorists, primary routes are the initial priority, followed by secondary routes, and subsequently tertiary streets, cul-de-sacs and dead-ends.
Blue = County Roads
Red = Primary Roads
Yellow = Secondary Roads.
|Baker Street||Dunnell Road||Elmwood Avenue||Maplewood Avenue|
|New England Road||Oakland Road||Parker Avenue||Prospect Street|
|Ridgewood Road||Springfield Avenue||Ridgewood Terrace||Tuscan Road|
|Broadview Avenue||Claremont Avenue||Collinwood Road||Durand Road|
|Jefferson Avenue||Oakview Avenue||S. Pierson Road||W. Parker Avenue|
|Woodland Road||Woodhill Drive|
All other non-county streets, cul-de-sacs, and dead-ends.
County Roads ( Essex County is responsible for plowing these roads.)
|Chancellor Ave.||Irvington Ave.||Valley St.||Wyoming Ave.|
Please see below for Maplewood DPW's snow removal operations procedure:
Phase One (minor precipitation: freezing precipitation or minor snowfall up to 4 inches):
- Salt spreaders are deployed prior to, and/or during the event to all zones of the Township.
- Salt is spread within the first inch of accumulation; salt spread prior to this amount of accumulation is usually ineffective because vehicular traffic oftentimes pushes it to the sides of the roadway.
- If/when required, plows will be deployed for snow removal.
Phase Two (heavy snowfall and accumulation of over 4 inches):
The second phase of DPW’s snow removal response involves town-wide plowing. The objective is to have all streets plowed at least once within 24 hours of when the snowfall ends. Prolonged snowfall, high winds, equipment failure, staffing levels, and parked vehicles can complicate attempts to meet this goal.
- Plows are deployed to all zones of the Township.
- Based upon the severity of the accumulation, extended hours will be assigned as needed for snow removal.
- Depending on the forecast and accumulation, staggered shifts will be implemented to provided continual 24-hour snow removal coverage.
- If conditions require, the contracted snow removal company will be mobilized to assist with plowing and/or hauling of snow.
Phase Three (post event):
- Plowing continues, to widen the passable area on the streets.
- Salt spreaders are deployed to ensure adequate de-icing of roadways and intersections.
- Snow is hauled away from the central business areas.
- In the vent of excessive snow, DPW will conduct the removal (hauling) of snow from the business district areas (Springfield Ave. and Maplewood Ave.).
- Snow will be removed from commuter paths, parking lots, and parks.